Wider smiles, louder laughs, higher spirits and a ton more fun. That’s what you can expect when you take a winter getaway to the northern Michigan resort town of Petoskey and its sister communities of Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and Boyne City.
Of course, the skiing and riding here are off the charts. People from throughout the Midwest make the trip to hit the most popular slopes in the Midwest: Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain and Nub’s Nob.
Together, the three resorts have nearly 170 downhill runs, 14 terrain parks and outstanding snowmaking capabilities. All the resorts also have rental equipment and expert instruction. Whether you’re into black diamond excitement, or are strapping on the boards for the first time, you’ll quickly see why the Petoskey Area is where folks from the Midwest come to ski and snowboard.
But here’s the really cool thing. Skiing and riding are only a start of what makes taking a winter break in the Petoskey Area so memorable. You see, nobody else in Michigan offers such great downhill. And nobody else offers so many other fun things to do, either.
- Cross-country and snowshoeing — Miles and miles of trails lead through the pristine northern Michigan landscape. You’ll have the chance to share the peaceful beauty of our forests, streams and lakes with a white-tailed doe or maybe a wild turkey. There are 17 areas and parks here that offer XC skiing and snowshoeing. It’s pure enjoyment as time glides by.
- Indoor waterpark – Avalanche Bay™ is Michigan’s largest indoor waterpark. Located at Boyne Mountain, it features six waterslides and a surf simulator. A touch of summer on your winter vacation.
- Casino — The Odawa Casino is a premier northern Michigan destination with 1,200 slots, dozens of table games, live entertainment and three dining options.
- Outdoor activities — Fresh air abounds here and so do the outdoor activities that await you. Jump on a tube and fly down the slopes; climb platforms and hold on tight while zooming down a zipline; glide across an outdoor rink; or bring a sled and race to the bottom. Want more? OK. There’s horseback riding, sleigh rides, snowmobiling and even winter rafting.
- Indoor delights — When it’s time to come inside for a break, we’ve got you covered. Follow the Bay View Wine Trail and sample outstanding northern Michigan wines and craft brews. Catch some live music at a variety of nightspots. And for the perfect way to end the day, treat yourself at one of our luxurious spas.
- Festivals — We have a whole calendar of special festivals taking place here all winter long. They’re the perfect way to make your stay even more memorable. Check the website for dates and descriptions.
Like we said, winter here is just more fun. And there are a whole lot more fun things that we didn’t include here. To find out more about them, and for details on our hotels, inns, condos and resorts, please visit our Visitor Bureau’s website: PetoskeyArea.com. And be sure to download a FREE Winter Guide.
Diane Dakins is passionate about all of the communities that comprise the Petoskey Area of Michigan: Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and Boyne City. As assistant director of the Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau, she has “been there – seen that” when it comes to virtually every area attraction. She strives to create informative content that gives potential visitors the scoop on planning a northern Michigan vacation.